I was taught that everyone is equal and though we come from different backgrounds, colours, religions and economic classes - everyone had to be treated the same and with respect.
I had friends who were rich and those that weren't so well off; friends who were Hindu, Muslim, Catholic and certainly a whole bunch of disillusioned agnostics and atheists.
It was lovely, and to a large extent, it still is.
But now I'm finding that the norm has limits. Tolerance and respect is all very well, as long as you don't bring it back to your doorstep. Friendship is great, but if you marry - make sure it's from the right religion, caste, community and socio-economic class. When push comes to shove, even the friendship lines will be drawn on the side of those we can see in our 'groups'.
The Liberal illusion is well and truly shattered.
The exception to the norm is not the intolerant person.
It is the person who says he/she is accepting of all, and is able to follow through with more than just words.
No comments:
Post a Comment