Friday, December 11, 2009

Something I Wish People Would Understand

There are degrees of comfort.

For example, I am a hugger, but that doesn't mean I'm open to hugging everyone. Or just because one person puts his/her arm around you, it does not mean a proclamation of 'he/she's okay with it', so it'll be fine if anyone does it.

I grew up with a friend who I had an amazing level of comfort with. We could hold hands, hug, sleep right next to each other, and there was never any weirdness involved.
Unfortunately, another friend took this to mean I was all sorts of 'cuddly'.
Which I really am not. It didn't end well.

So the lesson for today boys and girls, is don't base your assumptions about what's okay in terms of physical contact based on what someone does with other people.
They're not you. The rules do not apply.

No comments: