It is no secret that I am obsessively punctual. Everyone who knows me kinda-sorta well, will tell you that I like to be on time, in some cases, even a little early.
From a very young age, I noticed that if my parents were to go out at 8:00 p.m., my father would be showered, dressed, perfumed and combed by 7:45. My mother was deciding what to wear by 7:55. Needless to say, I take after my father in this respect. I also got his nose, but that's a story for another blog post.
I was at school early, I was at college on time, I went to meetings before anyone else showed up, and I could never, EVER be the one to make a dramatic, late entrance for a date, no matter how hard I tried. I was always there, tapping my foot, glancing at my watch - as if I had somewhere else to be!
I can count on one hand the number of times that I've been late to important, or even semi-important events. And the reasons for these usually have something to do with me getting a ride with someone else, or waiting for someone to get ready.
Which is why I simply cannot understand why some people are consistently late. I have lost friends, respect for colleagues and love for family members because of their belief that time is elastic.
So for all of you who continue to piss me off with your tardiness - buy a watch. Look at it from time to time. Get an alarm clock if you need it. Leave early, not five minutes before somebody is expecting to meet you when you know fully well that it will take you an hour to get there. Understand that "I'm sorry, you know how Bombay traffic is..." is not a good enough excuse when you use it nine times in a row. I know how bad the traffic is too, which is why I left on time!
No matter how little your respect for your own time, understand that other people have places to be and things to do, or at least I like to think so! So for the sake of sustaining my illusion, be on time.
1 comment:
No only that, consider the times people have mentioned how 'short life is'!!!
My grandpa was in the army with a saying that resounds in my daily life... 'If you are early, you are on time, if you are on time, you are LATE!!!!'
I think this line was in a movie.
PS -- Love your posts.. when's the book coming out??
Post a Comment