Sunday, January 17, 2010

The dramatic void

Today I overheard a familiar conversation. It went something like this:
'Yes, he did this... so I did this... and then he said... so what is the deal? I mean, what did he think he was doing?!! It's so ridiculous... etc etc'.
That wasn't the exact conversation of course, but pretty much the essence of it.

The reason it sounded familiar, was because I'd heard it before. I recognised the dramatic urgency of each sentence, the way everything sounded as if it were a matter of the utmost importance. In fact, I'd even been a part of many such conversations.
The only difference is, I remember it from school.
When I was younger. Much younger. And every minor hiccup seemed like a major catastrophe.

Since then, I've encountered some real mishaps... actual catastrophes that made school-time gossip seem like story books. It seems like most other people have as well. Or maybe it's just the majority of people in my life, who have moved on to a place where we can not sweat the small stuff quite as much, and appreciate that the small stuff isn't as horrible as the big stuff.

Then again, there are those who remain in this enchanted void, where 'he said... she said' continues to be the main dramatic theme. Where nothing is more gut-wrenching than a two-month failed could-have-been relationship and every day life is filled with all the emotion of a day-time soap. I wonder if maybe they're better off?

I feel old.

No comments: