Saturday, May 9, 2009

Check-up

Today I stand at the edge of the future. Tomorrow, I find out if I've won a pass to another year of living my life as I please. Or if I will spend another suspended few months in the midst of my own medical misery.

I've been here before - where I've dealt with the drugs, the hospital stay, the agonising looks of pain and 'what ifs' of my family. But every day was new, every experience was something that I hadn't dealt with before.

This time, unfortunately, I remember. I have a frame of reference as to what it will be like this time around. And contrary to popular belief, there is precious little comfort in knowing what lies ahead.

So today, the food tasted better. I was more confident as I drove my car. The coffee was excellent and the wine was incredibly smooth. The jokes were funnier, and the TV sitcoms were more entertaining than they had been before. Because today, I was healthy. I was untainted by any reports that pronounced me 'sick'.

And I was happy.

2 comments:

Alisha Coelho said...

Hope it turned out well. Alisha C

PV said...

Actually it did! All good for another year. :) thanks.