Thursday, February 19, 2009

...

I had you when I was 12 and sick and my mother wouldn't let me see anyone in case I was 'contagious'.
I had you when I needed two ice-cream cones, or to splash with in the first rain, and it didn't matter that we were too old for both.
I had you for timeless evenings spent on the terrace staring at the sky, sipping illicit rum (and vodka when we could afford it) and having you sing and sing and sing... just because I asked for it.
I had you for hugs, and cuddles when we'd fall asleep watching TV till 2 a.m.
I had you for teaching me how a friendship could be just as heart wrenching as being in love.

And now I have to let you go, just because...

Being prepared should make saying goodbye easier. But it doesn't.

No comments: